another month has rolled by and since liberating myself to get better at art things have been a roller coaster of astronomical proportions. New living space, a designated working space with scheduled hours (still work at home), and the ever present balancing the financial side of my life. Personally and emotionally I am learning to deal with the fact that some people I love very much are no longer here on this earth. So things get put into perspective. We never know how long we have left, only today. So do what you can, to do what you love, with the people you love to do life with.
As I’ve simplified and prioritized my life art is definitely a stable and major force towards my inner peace and personal growth. Its my calling and my passion. I never want to stop improving, luckily I got some great advice and critique on the last piece I did, Merlin from space.
Some of the best examples were that in the redesign I didn’t maintain the symbols that make up Merlin, and it basically was just an alien with a beard. So I took this to heart in the next piece and I’m still not convinced I’m there. It’s pretty hard to capture that magic, but I know I am getting closer.
This is Big Bad, the science fiction adaptation of the big bad wolf from little red riding hood.
So I basically broke down the character who was meant to be a serial killer in hiding. Our Heroes, Merlin, Aguy, and Num num run into him in the Forest just outside the main gate and thus Aguy and Num Num team up to vanquish their first foe on their journey to the portal of doom thing.
Again I busted out the sketching phase after reading the prompt (found on the Draw or Die’s facebook page) Loved the creepy vibes I was picking up.
But as I went to render I found I didn’t solve all the problems before moving on and had to redesign the character and I tried to save the background.
That was my first strike.
Next I got the character to a silhouette I was happy with. So I started working the background to the level I wanted the entire painting and kept working each part individually. This was my second strike.
After I was happy with the individual parts I sat on the piece for a few weeks. Moving on to other projects and sending out more emails to try and find work and a day job. So the day prior I worked on this all day, realizing I had a character blocked out without any definition and I began at the face and working my way down till the painting was at a level I was happy with. 30 mins before the deadline. THIS WAS MY THIRD STRIKE.
So parts are left unfinished, the painting didn’t have a lot of extra elements that I was hoping for and I’m left wanting with this piece.
I find its painted well, but there isn’t a story being told visually and I really wish there was.
Here is a gif which showcases the process and you can see what I missed in the sketch when I went to final.
What I learned:
Follow the process.
When you hit a problem, solve it before moving on.
Work the whole image.